I like eating thin crust pizza, like most of you, I guess. So I tried the cauliflower crust pizza. While it was sufficiently appreciated and enjoyed by the husband and the thambi, I wasn’t enthralled about it. It’s good, but not great. So, when I saw the option without the cauliflower, I had to try it. I did and I loved it. It’s easy to make and tasty as well.
Healthy: It creates a much lower blood-sugar levels (a high carb pizza would create a high blood-sugar surge 🙄😦). And no indigestion problems – no belching, no rushing to the toilet immediately after the meal, and no stomach discomfort.
Satisfying: When I eat a high-carb pizza, I feel like I’m full… but very soon, I’m hungry enough to eat another slice, and another… and another. At the end of the meal, I feel stuffed and guilty. You don’t have this problem with a low-carb pizza; it is satisfying. A couple of slices, and you’re done. Happy 🙂
… and cheap: I calculated the cost of a Domino’s pizza. Since this is a bare pizza, I had to add extra salami and cheese (to equal the amounts I used in my recipe) and the extra toppings.
Cost comparison in Indian rupees
|Cream cheese - 40 |
Mozzarella cheese - 195
Almond flour - 140
Egg - 5
Salami - 115
Capsicum - 20
Onion - 5
Mushrooms - 50
Coriander powder - 5.50
Tomato - 3.50
Garlic - 6
Fresh cream - 9.75
|Chicken Salami pizza - 495
Extra salami - 85
Extra cheese - 85
Capsicum - 70
Onion - 70
Mushrooms (2) -140
|Total - Rs.595/-||Total - Rs.945/-|
- Grated mozarella cheese – 170gm (1¾ cups approx)
- Cream cheese – 2 tbsp
- Almond flour/meal – 85gm (¾ cup) IndianLCHF Tip#1 Make your own almond flour/meal. Grind almonds (with skin for almond meal; without skin for almond flour) in mixie till it becomes a flour. If you grind it too much, it’ll become almond butter)
- Egg – 1
These are the quantities and ingredients I used. Feel free to use whatever and how much ever you like.
- Capsicum – 1
- Chicken salami – 250gm
- Onions – 3 medium sized (Indian size)
- Mushroom – 200gm
- Mozzarella cheese – around 150gms
- Tomato – 3
- Fresh cream – 2 tbsp
Spices & herbs
Any or all or none of the below
- Coriander powder
- Cumin powder
- Fennel powder
- Chilli powder
- Chilli flakes IndianLCHF Tip#2 Grind dried red chilli coarsely in mixie to get chilli flakes
- Grate mozarella cheese and measure out required quantity.
- Mix it with the cream cheese.
- Melt in microwave for 1 min.
- Take it out and stir it.
- Keep it back in microwave for 30 seconds.
- Cool the mixture for about 5 – 8 minutes stirring every minute or so. Don’t let it cool too much that it becomes solid.
- Mix in the egg and the almond flour. Your dough is ready.
- Roll it our between 2 non-stick surfaces (parchment paper, non-stick baking sheet or silicone baking sheets).
- Place the crust on oven tray lined with parchment paper, non-stick baking sheet or silicone baking sheet. Or you could use a pizza tray. IndianLCHF Tip #3 Don’t use wax sheets. The crust will stick to it, and you’ll have to eat pizza with the paper.
- Bake in OTG oven at 220°C for 15 mins or till the crust is brown, flipping once in between.
- Grind 3 tomatoes (with or without skin) and 10 cloves of garlic.
- Sauté in oil till you get desired consistency.
IndianLCHF Tip #4 Make a desi sauce pizza sauce. Use chutney of your choice – mint, coriander, curry leaves or a thuvaiyal – peerkangai thol thuvaiyal (ridgegourd peel thuvaiyal), paruppu thuvaiyal (daal/lentil thuvaiyal), nila kadalai thuvaiyal (peanut chutney)… come up with creative ideas. If your topping is a meat gravy, you may even skip the pizza sauce.
- Sauté desired toppings in fat of your choice (list of acceptable fats – here)
- Any meat that you add must be cooked beforehand.
- You can use regular toppings like pepperoni, salami, sausages etc.
IndianLCHF Tip #5 Make desi toppings like meat in its gravy (thick, viscous gravy, not liquid curry), shredded previous day’s meat, any meat varuval, mince meat dishes. Get creative!
- Spread the pizza sauce on the crust.
- Layer the toppings any way you want.
- Cover it with shredded mozarella cheese.
- Bake in OTG oven for 5 mins.
Your very own special Indian low-carb pizza is ready!