1) Bones – ½ kg
2) Water – 2.5 litres
3) Onions – 2
4) Garlic cloves – 10
5) Ginger – 5cm piece cut into 1cm pieces
6) Green chilly – 2 cut into 3cm pieces
7) Dried red chilly – 3
8) Chicken stock cube – 1 (optional)
9) Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
10) Turmeric powder – 2 teaspoons
11) Pepper powder – 1½ tablespoons
12) Cumin powder – 1½ teaspoons
13) Curry leaves – 3 to 4 sprigs
14) Vinegar – 1 tablespoon (reduce if you don’t like the sour taste)
15) Salt, as desired.
Set a pressure cooker with all the ingredients.
After the first whistle, lower the heat to the minimum and cook for 2 hours.
When the soup is done, it will reduce by around ½ a litre. So, you’re left with around 2 litres of soup.
When you drink, you can add coriander leaves, pepper powder and cumin powder, as you desire.
Reduce the quantity of chillies and pepper powder, if you find the soup too hot.
When you store the soup in the fridge, it should set like jelly. If not, you’ve probably added too much water or cooked for too less time.
If you’re using chicken bones or mutton rib bones, an hour of pressure-cooking may be sufficient. If you’re using ox-tail or marrow or other big, thick beef or mutton bones, you might need to pressure-cook for 2 hours.
Benefits of bone broth (from the blog by Dr. Jason Fung)
1. Bone broth is a good source of calcium and magnesium. These minerals are important for
- development and maintenance of strong bones and teeth
- proper heart and nervous system function
- muscle growth and contraction
2. Cartilage in bone broth contains chondroitin sulphate and glucosamine that help to reduce inflammation, arthritis and joint pain.
3. Collagen in bone broth helps reduce the appearance of cellulite as it supports smooth connective tissues
4. Collagen and gelatin in bone broth support healthy hair, skin and nails.
5. Gelatin in bone broth aids in digestion and helps heal hyperacidity, colitis, leaky gut and Crohn’s disease.
6. Gelatin in bone broth also contains the amino acids – glycine and proline. They are important for wound healing and muscle growth and repair.